The five ‘grand challenges’ proposed encompass:
- Forecasting: improve the usefulness of forecasts of future environmental conditions and their consequences for people
- Observing: develop, enhance and integrate the observation systems needed to manage global and regional environmental change
- Confining: determine how to anticipate, avoid and manage disruptive global environmental change
- Responding: determine what institutional, economic and behavioral changes can enable effective steps toward global sustainability
- Innovating: encourage innovation (coupled with sound mechanisms for evaluation) in developing technological, policy, and social responses to achieve global sustainability
To access the final version of the Grand Challenges as well as the Science article (no registration required), go to the Grand Challenges page and follow the links.
Update: The Grand Challenges featured in a new Science Policy Forum article